How Your Information is Used

Student Accessibility Services collects medical documentation and other information pertaining to a student’s functional limitations, history of learning or personal circumstances for the following purposes:

  • To verify the need for disability related accommodations for academic work, and
  • To develop and implement effective disability related accommodations and supports.

Student Accessibility Services respects student privacy and keeps information confidential. Information may be shared with university staff, but only on a need-to-know basis as described in York’s Policy on Access to Student Records and Protection of Privacy, to allow them to perform their duties and to provide academic or other disability related accommodations on campus.

Examples of how information might be shared:

  • Test and Exam accommodations will be shared with the Alternate Exam/Test Scheduling for invigilation.
  • The name of students with a reduced course load as an accommodation may be shared for fees adjustment purposes or to arrange bursaries.
  • Accessibility Counsellors may speak to a professor, the University Registrar or residence staff to arrange accommodations and supports.
  • When a student encounters difficulties that require attention from other University units, such as Student Counselling, Health & Well-being, the Students of Concern Committee, the Office of Student Community Relations or Residence Life, necessary information is shared with those unit

To protect student information, all university staff receiving information follow York University policies and guidelines, FIPPA (the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act) and other legal requirements*.

If you have any questions, please send an email to .Your email will be forwarded to the Director of Student Accessibility Services for follow up as soon as possible.

* Student Accessibility Services provides academic accommodation and support to students with disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy on accessible education for students with disabilities and York University Senate Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is there a note on my transcript that I am registered with Student Accessibility Services?
Registration with Student Accessibility Services and/or accommodation information does not appear on any official file with the University, including transcripts and degree documents.
Is my information ever shared with external third parties?
Personal information will not be disclosed to external third parties – including family members, parents, guardians or other non-York service providers - without the express, written consent of the student. There are some exceptions where Student Accessibility Services may be required to disclose information about students registered with its services. These exceptions include, for example, when the release of information is required by law or in compelling or emergency circumstances affecting the health or safety of an individual.
Is my information ever used for research?

The University is required to report Student Accessibility Services registration data to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) as a condition of its receipt of operating grant funding (Accessibility Fund for Students with Disabilities). Aggregate data that represents program utilization by accommodation type is collected and reported to MCU in the form of an annual report. No individual is identified, and no identifiers are provided to MCU.

Information may be used to evaluate services. Evaluation data is reported as aggregate data about group trends. No individual is ever identified.

How is my information stored?
All student files are digitized and stored on an encrypted, secure server that is maintained by York University Information Technology.
How long will you have my records?
Information collected by Student Accessibility Services will be used, disclosed, retained and destroyed in accordance with York University’s Policy on Access to Information and Protection of Privacy and Records and Information Management Policy.
How often do I need to consent to the use of my information?
At the time of initial registration and annually during each subsequent re-activation with Student Accessibility Services, students will be asked for their consent to permit Student Accessibility Services staff to share and access information as described.
Can I rescind my consent?
Students have the right to refuse consent or withdraw it at any time.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
You can speak to any of staff in Student Accessibility Services if you have concerns. You can also connect with York’s Privacy Office by contacting